Tuesday, August 29, 2006

"BE CONSIDERATE!" & "PEACE AND QUIET!"

I can clearly remember our Baguio summers. The horseback riding adventures, the various mountains we discovered and named, the hearty meals of longganisa or sinigang or adobo, the fireplace gatherings and bonfires.

Seldom have I seen Lolo get upset but I recall that he would be very irritated when we would run around the house especially during his afternoon "siesta". His deep voice blurting out "BE CONSIDERATE!" still resounds clearly in my mind as he stops us in our tracks as we attempt to run up the stairs.

He said "BE CONSIDERATE!" over and over and over again. He installed strips of carpet on the floors and the stairs to mute the ruckus but to no avail so he would repeatedly remind us to "BE CONSIDERATE!" and would add "PEACE AND QUIET!" into the equation if things were really getting out of hand. If things got really unbearable, he would administer the "daga" on our arms.

This principle of thinking of others has been ingrained in me. I always try to think about others first before I do anything. I would try to see if any of my actions would affect anyone and try to do something differently or even stop any plans if it would result in any inconvenience to others. I am now passing this to Aina so that she may continue this trait I learned from Lolo.

Wherever we are, I hope that this "BE CONSIDERATE!" admonition that Lolo has tried to instill in us can be truly practiced and even better, passed on to the next generation because all of us deserve "PEACE AND QUIET!".

- kofranks

1 comment:

TOW Blog said...

a very timely message!