Friday, July 28, 2006

My memories and my last visit

Flashback lang nung bata pa ako.......I always loved going to the "Big House". I wake up early in the morning every weekend (around 6am). I would go straight to Lola's and have breakfast because I knew that they would be awake at that time. I would always see Lolo with his coffee, wearing his sweats in the terrace just looking around.......at peace with himself.

One memory that stands out with my experience in Lola's house was when Rammy and I emptied 2 containers of Baby Powder in Lola's trash can.....I even remember balancing it on the door of one of the cubicles (the one that has no shower), and Rammy holding the door. It was suppose to be for one of the cousins.....since we all were into making traps and converting Lola's room into a make shift "haunted house"......sad to say.......actually really very funny during that time, that it was Lola that got it. We were hiding behind all the clothes in the bathroom when she came in. Talagang sapol!!! Lola screamed!!! and she was really covered in powder. Rammy and I ran.....and she never knew it was us.

Being the youngest within the generation of cousins, it was hard for me to fit in.......parati akong saling-pusa!.......or your basic "Utusan". I remember that age played a big part in the family. The guys would make fun of me all the time.

I always hear about our family being solid and that you can always count on family etc....... Frankly, I always had my doubts because of what I went through.....being the youngest and all......baka "Saling Pusa nanaman ako".

It all finally went full circle last Christmas (05).......I mean the Holidays of 05......my last visit. As everyone knows by now, I just went through .....and still going through a big D. I was really very down....nawala lahat ng yabang ko at marami pang iba na nawala!.....but that is another story.

My original plan was to go home and spend time with my friends. I would just go to the Big House during Christmas and New Year. Too many emotions were playing. I really didn't know how to face the family......that's why I sent out an email before I went home.

I knew that Walf would be there and understand because he's been there, and I know that he would always stand by me. The thing that surprised me the most was the time I spent with the Sevillas. I felt that they went out of their way to make me feel better. Kuya Rosky organized a Cali trip. Kuya Franco basically opened his doors to me........parang Dr. Phil! He even gave me a book to read for prayers and reflections.....it helped a lot......the other cousins in NJ were even wondering why I wasn't getting mad etc..... Randy even picked me up in my friend's house......brought me to Cali, and on the way back, treated me for lunch! Pixie, cooked dinner for me and surprisingly, it really tasted good!

On my last day, I spent it in Lola's. Eena treated, if I remember correctly, the best tasting Inihaw na manok at baboy I ever ate. The 3 Sevilla brothers were present, and Lola was ok with the idea for us to stay late. We talked about everything........for the first time I really felt like an "Equal". It was already past 3am and we were still talking and laughing, but sadly I had to leave because my flight was at 6 something. I hugged all 3 of them and Eena walked me out.


Balik Amerika:

I remember riding in Ate Mayoy's car with Ate Lia sitting at the back. We were on our way to the Noodle House for dinner. I told them about my trip, and stressed the fact how lucky I was to experience a family coming together to help a member out. I lost my wife, but I know that my family will always be there.......without any doubt!---PIG

5 comments:

tilamsik said...

i know your newfound status as an EQUAL is very important to you. but always remember, you are your own person now, poised to face a lifetime of your own choices. be true to yourself always and remember that self-respect cannot be taken from you.

you have come so far and i admire the way you can pick yourself up all the time.

hala, isusumbong kita kay lola!!

always,
ate

tilamsik said...

the sevilla brothers are really generous!

kofranks said...

To be of assistance just comes naturally. I guess it is the result of our summers spent together in Baguio with Lolo and Lola.

tilamsik said...

As you said, family will always be family. It is during crisis that you feel it the most. Blessed tayo, mig!

eena

tilamsik said...

Hi Mig, like your Ate, I say, di kaya it's time we told Lola who was behind that powder incident? :-) Ate Rhea